Experts in the field describe this disease as being caused by the accumulation of atheroma plaques inside the arteries, with the consequence of the danger involved, because the arteries are blood vessels that carry oxygen-rich blood to the heart and, if they are obstructed, can cause death.
These plaques are made up of cholesterol molecules that build up on the inner wall of the arteries.
Doctors say there may be genetic factors that predispose to the early onset of atherosclerosis. Other main factors that accelerate these atheroma plaques are: diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, smoking (reduces the flexibility of the wall of arteries and blood vessels), sedentary lifestyle, alcoholism, etc. All of them contribute in a combined way to a rapid progression of atherosclerosis, so that a proper nutritional treatment, a good diet for atherosclerosis will be essential to prevent the mentioned pathology.
In this article I will tell you what nutritional treatment you should use in atherosclerosis. As in any disorder or pathology, we must individualize according to the patient in front of us and in the mentioned pathology, nutritional treatment in atherosclerosis will be very important.
If you suffer from this condition, your diet should consider the following:
First of all, people must consume a total of 30% fat, from daily energy, ie a normolipidic food profile, but respecting the percentages of each type of fat:
- Saturated fats: <7% of total energy in the diet.
- Trans fatty acids: <2% of the total energy in the diet (we must avoid ultra-processed foods.
- Monounsaturated fatty acids: 15-20% of the total energy in the diet, mainly omega-3 fatty acids, due to their cardioprotective and antioxidant power against free radicals, which are generated by the oxidation of fats, which increases the risk of atherosclerosis.
- If you suffer from this condition, your diet should benefit from complex carbohydrates, rich in fiber, whole grains, rice, legumes, fruits, vegetables, etc.
- It should be noted that people need to introduce soluble fiber in the diet, because they help a lot to reduce serum cholesterol, which will be beneficial to avoid the formation of possible atheroma plaques and, consequently, the appearance of atherosclerosis.
- In addition, people should avoid simple sugars, such as: table sugar, sugary drinks, pastries, sweets, etc.
- It should contain 15-25% of daily energy, ie follow a normal protein diet.
- Specialists recommend people to eat lean meat. This can be taken from the following: poultry, white and blue fish, eggs, milk, yogurt or fresh cheese.
- Avoid consuming hard cheeses that are high in fat.